- Meet with your counselor to review your Four-Year Plan.
- Get involved in high school activities.
- Find out where the College and Career Center is
located and spend some time there, getting acquainted
with resources and thinking about what appeals to you
8 Ways to be a Successful 9th Grader:
- Get acquainted with your counselor and don’t be afraid to ask him/her anything.
- Join something. Join a club; try out for a sport; sign up for marching band, chorus or color guard. This will help you find friends who share your interests.
- Don’t change yourself to fit in. Be yourself and you will eventually find students who share your same interests.
- Be prepared for situations that might happen. Think about what you will do or say if someone offers you a cigarette, alcohol or drugs.
- Stay connected to your parent(s). They seem old fashioned, out of touch, and not cool, but they’ve already been where you are. Most important – they care about you!
- Expect that you will have to work hard. Nothing worthwhile comes easy.
- Keep yourself balanced. You need to have time for fun and time for work.
- If you run into a problem, talk to your counselor. Your friends may not always give you the best advice.